Can I use The Wand Tonearm?
Data and fitting information.
The Wand Tonearm Data Sheet (PDF 500kB) shows the differences between Plus, Master and Master S (Lite) arms,
The Wand Master Series Spec Sheet (PDF280 kB)
The Wand is designed around the Rega style mounting dimensions. Do check the height, some lids may hit.
The Wand Master Series Installation PDF 1.3MB PDF
The first three of five Installation videos are on Vimeo; (Each 3-5minutes long)
- Fitting & Balancing – Link
- Drilling the Mounting Hole – Link
- Fitting the Mount – Link
- Fitting the Arm & Setting Overhang – Link
- Vertical & Horizontal Balancing – Link
To ease the replacement an existing arm we offer the following guides; (Images above)
- Linn LP12 mounting Linn-Wand PDF 250kB Also Lively Linns on Pinterest
- SME style mounting hole SME-Wand PDF 200kB
- Technics SL1200 & SL1500 family turntables Technics-Wand PDF 650kB also here for instructions on removing Technics arms. See some Direct Drive Delights on Pinterest. A video review is here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Kp-pgZNj-c&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR03cJirBGip1CKega_5VCVLEKkfpXbPwMkxQwKsPnRKzWTwLDd8Q4PaiLw
- Lenco L75 family turntables (For direct mounting on the top plate and using the Lenco lifter) Lenco-Wand PDF 640kB There is a Pinterest Board with The Wand on Lencos.
- Thorens TD318 family turntables (And using the Thorens lifter) Thorens-Wand PDF 780kB
- Thorens TD160/150 family turntable (Option of using the Thorens lifter) Thorens TD160 Wand PDF 870kB Again there is a Pinterest board Terrific Thorens
- Michell Turntables; The 9.5in wand is an easy install being the same fitment as a Technoarm. However for those wanting more The Wand 10.3in may be fitted. Michell Wand 10.3in Instructions
Will The Wand work on my suspended turntable? The Wand weighs ~500g (~1lb) this is similar to SME 3009 and a little heavier than Rega arms (420g). So it should be within the adjustment range of most turntables. For some turntables see; Cool Turntables
Will The Wand work with my cartridge?
The Wand Tonearm has been used with some of the worlds best cartridges from Lyra, Transfiguration, Koetsu, Kiseiki and Dynavector. It has the ability to let your cartridge shine, whether high end or high value.
The Wand is “Medium Mass” at 12.5g effective mass (15g for the 12in), so will work with most cartridges. The Master Series arms are about 1g more.
Even a high compliance cartridge like a Shure V15Vx gives a measured resonance at 7Hz, so is ok. At the other extreme, conventional low compliance cartridges work well. Arm/Cartridge matching is frequently over-stated, unless you have a system with massive bandwidth or insist on playing badly warped records, it shouldn’t be an issue.
As New Zealand Distributors for the rather wonderful Hana MC cartridges we encourage the combination with The Wand Tonearm. While we can’t sell this cartridge to customers outside New Zealand we still encourage you to contact your local Hana Distributor. The ML is particularly lovely.
The most popular cartridge with our users are Denon DL103 or Ortofon 2M and variants of them both. (See the review pages)
Decca cartridges are challenging cartridges but a significant number of customers have found The Wand works really well . (Some images above and there are a lot more on a Pinterest Board, Wand Cartridge Collection )